Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lucy from Ethiopia at The Pacific Science Center

Today I went down to The Pacific Science Center located on the south side of The Seattle Center. The line was long (and, no offense to the staff, it is the slowest queue in Seattle) and everyone was hoping to get in before it sold out. I went down yesterday but the exhibit was sold out for 2 hour in advance so today was try two. I managed to get in without any problem (after solving the usual dilemna of finding a safe place to lock up my bike).
The exhibit was packed. Literally shoulder to shoulder. The first thing they hand you is an audio wand. Many of the displays and wall hangings are numbered and when you enter the number in your audio wand it gives you details about the display you are looking at.
The first full half of the exhibit was dedicated to the history of Ethiopia. I found that section every bit as interesting as the actual fossils. I had no idea Ethiopia had such a diverse history. They covered everything from the religious tribes of Jews, Christians and Muslims who variously settled or conquered Ethiopia to the genocide by gas committed by Bento Mussolini.
There was a section dedicated to methods used to date fossils using radioactive decay rates. I hope a lot of Flat Earthers go to see the exhibit. They will be blinded by science. Further on there was information about bipedalism, skull capacity, and skeletal structure as well as a good collection of skulls...all tied together by an evolutionary family tree. Finally you enter the room where Lucy sleeps. Ok, I admit it was, to me, somewhat anticlimactic. There is not much left of poor Lucy I'm afraid. But there was enough so they could construct an accurate replica of our great, great²ºººº grandmother. I was glad to see so many kids there. They might have been a little bored, but I think the information there, much of it kid friendly, will make an impression on them.
The cost was, to my mind, a little steep. $21.00. (It was supposed to be $20.75 but the ticket booth lady pocketed my two bits...oh well.)

Here is a brief slide show. Pictures were strictly forbidden, so my slides are limited...

No comments: